Frequently Asked Questions


Q: I need a copy of my accident report. How can I get one?
A: Visit and enter the driver’s information or incident number. Please note, accident reports may take up to 30 days to be completed by the investigating officer.


Q: Can I get fingerprinted for an employment background check or for the bar exam?
A: Yes, the fee for employment background fingerprints as well as the bar exam is $20.00. Please call RPD to schedule an appointment. Valid state issued photo identification is required.


Q: How do I serve a Notice of Trespass?
A: Download this Notice of Trespass Form. Fill it out, sign it, and send a copy to the subject by hand or certified mail. Please provide us with a copy of the order for our records. If the subject refuses to accept the notice, please contact us and we can serve it for you.


Q: I received a parking ticket, how do I pay it?
A: Mail the ticket with a check for the amount due to Town of Royalton, PO Box 680, South Royalton VT 05068, or drop it off Monday through Friday at the Town Clerk’s Office or the Royalton Police Department within 5 business days. Failure to pay tickets could result in further fines, immobilization, or towing.


Q: I would like to “press charges” against someone. How do I do that?
A: People are frequently under the impression that they can “press charges” against someone, and not aware of the fact that the State actually brings the charge. In criminal cases, the State of Vermont, through a State’s Attorney, makes a decision whether to bring a charge. In some cases, the State’s Attorney may bring a charge even if the victim is not cooperative or does not wish to cooperate.


Q: I need to get a restraining order. How do I do that?
A: Abuse Prevention Orders, sometimes called TROs or RFAs, are issued by the Family Court. If you are trying to obtain such an order during normal business hours, you need to go to the Windsor County Family Court at 82 Railroad Row in White River Junction, Vermont. After court hours, you can contact the Royalton Police Department or Vermont State Police at 802-234-9933.


Vehicles are usually towed because they were in violation of the Town Ordinance, or Winter Parking Ban. In either case, the company that towed the vehicle is required to contact our office and report the vehicle’s registration, make, date and location from where it was towed. During regular business hours, you may call 802-763-7776.


Q: My landlord/tenant and I are having a dispute about a civil matter, what can I do?
A: Tenant occupancy and property ownership are complex issues that are covered under Vermont Law. These issues are not covered under criminal law, and often police will not get involved. Generally speaking, a tenant cannot be evicted from their property without cause. Landlords and property managers cannot deny access to the residence, electricity, heat, water, other utilities or property. You may obtain further information at